Step 1

This is where customers help other customers. Find useful information in existing discussions or ask your questions.

Forward

Step 2

You will find tips and tricks about train travel here.

Back Forward

Step 3

You will see the latest posts from all areas of the Community here.

Back End tour
Announcements
Coronavirus notice: Refund request
Please use our support pages for all questions regarding your ticket bookings.
The SBB Community is a public forum (customers help customers); please don’t post any personal data (names, e-mail, credit card numbers, ticket order no. etc.).
Highlighted

regarding saver day pass

New Author
0 Likes

Hi,

I am planning to travel Switzerland in the month of may with family and I want to buy saver day cards for all travel days. question for me is can I use saver day pass to following things

1. Scenic trains like golden line, glacier express, and Berlin express
  2. can I use to travel back to Germany like Munich or Frankfurt?

Also, when I am trying to block the glacier express, I found the option of day pass with half fare card. can I use that option if I have, saver day pass with 1month validity half fare card?

Regards,

Srinivas

Highlighted

0 Likes

Hi @srinivas

The Super Saver Day Pass is valid troughout the following area of validity:
https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/de/pdf/abos-billette/abonnemente/ga/karte-geltungsbereich-ga-halb...

The train journey with Glacier Express or Golden Pass trains is also included. The seat reservation is compulsory for Glaicer Express and recommended for Golden Pass line (to be paid separately).

The Saver Day Pass is only valid within Switzerland.

Kind regards
SandraI

Highlighted

Be very aware of the SBB Saver Day Pass Trap. I was in Switzerland attending a week-long business meeting. Since this is the 1st time my wife and I visited Switzerland and I bought my wife a Saver Day Pass on https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/saver-day-pas... for her to spend a day trekking Switzerland on SBB. My interpretation of the offer is the Saver Day Pass holder can travel to allowable destinations in Second Class car without a Half-Fare travelcard because the pass was purchased at CHF 59. What happened was my wife traveled from Interlaken to Geneva and was demanded to pay additional costs by the Inspector who insisted that the Saver Day Pass was purchased at half price so a Half-Fare travelcard had to be presented. I was in disbelief that the Inspector refused to read the offer language when my wife tried to explain. The female Inspector insist that she is right and she told my wife “I don’t need to read it”. Frustrated and overwhelmed by the Inspector’s rigid attitude, the unwanted attention from other passengers in the train, and the public embarrassment by being put on a spot, my wife quickly showed the Inspector the U.S. passport at the Inspector’s request and paid the difference. Needless to say, my wife’s 1-day trip via SBB was ruined and she came back in tears. Also, she basically doesn't want to return to Switzerland anymore.

Well, I have to say SBB website is just not clear to international travelers. It can easily cause confusion and embarrassment like what my wife had experienced. Since we are just visitors from the USA visiting Geneva for the first time and we have no idea what a Half-Fare card is, our assumption was this promotion allows us to select the Reduced price without the need of a Half-Fare Card. To most, the Full price option suggests no discount or no saver. We somehow got misled by the wording “It’s fun to travel so cheaply by train!” and “from CHF 52 without a Half-Fare travelcard”. Since the price option page shows all prices above CHF 52 and we made the wrong assumption we can take the promotion offer buying the Reduced price Save Day Pass. Apparently, we were wrong and therefore my wife had to suffer the consequence of a public humiliation. In USA, Full price means no Saver and Reduced price means Saver. To avoid the same mistakes and consequence from many international visitors traveling in Switzerland, I’d sincerely suggest SBB adding an intermediate page clearly elaborating the necessity of a Half-Fare travelcard to be able to buy the “Saver” Day Pass with a reduced price option. Also, in the same page explaining what the Half-Fare travelcard is will be really helpful for foreign travelers visiting Switzerland for their first time.

Highlighted

New Author
0 Likes
i am sorry for what happened to you and your wife and thanks for taking time to inform me about this.
Highlighted

0 Likes

Hi all,

A few quick questions regarding the day saver pass. I know that the map is available on the SBB website but before I buy a bunch of day saver passes, I wanted to confirm a few things

1) Day saver pass will cover Engelberg to Zurich and Zurich to Rhine Falls trip

2) Day saver pass covers the "regular" (non culinary) boat trips in lake Lucerne

3) Day saver pass gives 50% discount on the Engelberg to Mt. Titlis cable car (from CHF 92 to CHF 46 for a round trip)

4) Day saver pass for weekends is CHF 70

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Mayank

Traveller (platinum)
0 Likes

Hello @mayanksaxena123,

Here you can find the area of validity of the supersaver Day passes which is the same as the one for general travelcards and half-fare cards: https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/de/pdf/abos-billette/abonnemente/ga/karte-geltungsbereich-ga-halb...

Your 3 first affirmations are totally correct.

Regarding the price for weekends I cannot confirm that it is CHF 70.-. The Supersaver day pas offer is a limited offer which means that there are a limited number of passes per day and the price may vary.

Here are the range prices for each category:

Price with half-fare card in 2 class : CHF 29.- to CHF 59.-

Price with half-fare card in 1 class : CHF 49.- to CHF 99.-

Price without reduction in 2 class: CHF 52.- to 106.-

Price without reduction in 1 class: CHF 88.- to 178.-

I hope you had all the needed answers and wish you a good time with you supersaver day passes.

Regards,

BrendaD

Highlighted

New Author
0 Likes

Hello!

I have purchased two saver day passes at full price (we do not have a half fare card). In order for our kids to travel with us (ages 4,6, and 7), do we buy a child saver day pass or will a swiss family card work for this?

Thank you.

Highlighted

0 Likes

Hi @JK1

Thank you for your request.

Accompanied children under six years travel free of charge. For your children 6 and 7 years old, I recommend the “child saver day pass” (CHF 16 for 2nd class and CHF 32 for 1st class). If you travel several times during the year, it is better to purchase the junior card for CHF 30.- / year.

More information under: https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/1-day-travelp... & https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/railpasses/junior-travelcard-children-co-travelcard.ht...

Best regards 
NicolasK 

Highlighted

0 Likes
Hi i have purchased a saver day pass for CHF 52 for 11th Oct, i just want to confirm that i can travel on any train except EuroCity , also i wish to travel from VISP to spiez and please confirm if i can take intercity with the saver day pass without buying anything else, even though it is shown with brocken red lines on the GA travelcard map.

Also i can use this ticket on any train except on scenic trains where reservatio is necessary???

Thanks
Highlighted

New Author
0 Likes

Hello,

Question about the saver day pass.

I'll stay in Luzern next week, I already purchase the half-fare card.

I plan to go to Rigi Mt. and Pilatus Mt. in two days.

If I buy saver day pass, is it free to go to Rigi Mt. or Pilatus Mt.?

Thanks,

Randy