Half fare travelcard Vs Half fare card for forigen visitor

Traveller
0 Likes

I  understand there are two types of half fare tickets. 1) Half fare travelcard for local with a validity of 1 year 2) Half fare tickets for forigen visitor, with a validity of 1 month. I am a forigener at switzerland, so I can only buy Half fare tickets for forigen visitor.

Question :

1) I hope both have same discount. Please confirm.

2) I am not able to see any drop down for " Half fare card" while booking the tickets in SBB site. It shows only "Half fare travelcard". Can i book my tickets in SBB site using "Half fare travelcard" option as there is no option for "Half fare card" ?

Regards, Anil

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Half fare travelcard Vs Half fare card for forigen visitor

0 Likes

Hi @anil

As a tourist, you can actually purchase both offers (depending on travel time). That's the difference between the two tickets:

Half-Fare travelcard

This season ticket is valid for 1 year and all routes on this map

It is possible to add supplementary offers like a 1-month travelpass and day passes. Holders of the Half-Fare travelcard receive a 15% discount on the regular fare for journeys form Switzerland to Germany and Austria.

Swiss Half Fare Card

This is an offer of the Swiss Travel System. The ticket is valid for 1 month on all routes on this map and only available for tourists.

Not all supplementary offers are available and the ticket is not valid for journeys outside Switzerland. 

Children between 6 and 16 years of age who are accompanied by at least one parent holding a with a Swiss Half Fare Card travel free of charge with the complimentary Swiss Family Card.

When purchasing a ticket for a journey within Switzerland, you can choose "Half Fare travelcard" - regardless of whether you have a Half-Fare travelcard or a Swiss Half Fare Card.

I hope that this information is useful for you and wish you a pleasant journey.

Kind regards
SandraI

All Replies

Traveller
0 Likes

Resending as there was some typo in original post.

I  understand there are two types of Swiss half fare cards.

1) Swiss Half fare travelcard for local with a validity of 1 year

2) Swiss Half fare cards for forigen visitors, with a validity of 1 month. I am a visitor, so I can only buy Half fare card for forigen visitor.

Questions :

1) I hope both have same discount. Please confirm.

2) I am not able to see any drop down for " Half fare card" while booking the tickets in SBB site. It shows only "Half fare travelcard". Can i book my tickets in SBB site using "Half fare travelcard" option as there is no option for "Half fare card". Please confirm.

Regards, Anil

Highlighted

0 Likes

Hi @anil

As a tourist, you can actually purchase both offers (depending on travel time). That's the difference between the two tickets:

Half-Fare travelcard

This season ticket is valid for 1 year and all routes on this map

It is possible to add supplementary offers like a 1-month travelpass and day passes. Holders of the Half-Fare travelcard receive a 15% discount on the regular fare for journeys form Switzerland to Germany and Austria.

Swiss Half Fare Card

This is an offer of the Swiss Travel System. The ticket is valid for 1 month on all routes on this map and only available for tourists.

Not all supplementary offers are available and the ticket is not valid for journeys outside Switzerland. 

Children between 6 and 16 years of age who are accompanied by at least one parent holding a with a Swiss Half Fare Card travel free of charge with the complimentary Swiss Family Card.

When purchasing a ticket for a journey within Switzerland, you can choose "Half Fare travelcard" - regardless of whether you have a Half-Fare travelcard or a Swiss Half Fare Card.

I hope that this information is useful for you and wish you a pleasant journey.

Kind regards
SandraI

Traveller

Thanks a lot @SandraI

Regards,
Anil

Traveller
0 Likes
Thanks ! I have one more questions. Can I buy 1 month validity Half fare Card and Family Card at Zurich railway station and use it the same day ? or Do we need some lead time to use the half fare card and family card after purchasing?