Step 1

This is where customers help other customers. Find useful information in existing discussions or ask your questions.

Forward

Step 2

You will find tips and tricks about train travel here.

Back Forward

Step 3

You will see the latest posts from all areas of the Community here.

Back End tour
Announcements
Please use our help & contact area for all questions regarding your ticket bookings and for refunds.
The SBB Community is a public forum (customers help customers); please don’t post any personal data (names, addresses, e-mail, credit card numbers, ticket order no. etc.).

Explanation of SEMI_FLEX fare?

SOLVED
Traver
New Author

I do not understand how to choose a ticket that allows me to travel on any of the train times for that day.

The "fare conditions" information is not clear. When I click it, I see the following information as "Tariff Conditions" for the Swiss part of my International ticket. It does not change no matter which ticket I choose:

1) SEMI_FLEX with "1× Connection Ticket International: Basel SBB-Rueras - Fully flexible fares offer"

2) SEMI_FLEX with "1× Discounted International Extension Ticket: Basel SBB-Rueras - Partially flexible fares offer"

3) PETIT_PRIXS NON_FLEX.

None of these Swiss trains have seat reservation available. ***I do not understand how to choose a ticket that allows me to travel on any of the train TIMES for that day.***

No matter what I choose, "Tariff Conditions" always says this:

Discounted International Extension Ticket: Basel SBB-Rueras - Partially flexible fares offer

• Discounted International Extension Ticket are available for international journeys in 1st or 2nd class. Subject to availability.
  • Validity: only valid for the selected travel date and the selected public transport services (booked trains)*.
  • Reduced prices for Half Fare Travelcard holders, children aged at least 6 and under 16.
  • Discounted International Extension Ticket cannot be bought for bicycles.
  • Exchanges / refunds are subject to the terms and conditions of the international ticket. * Changes to class of travel, routes or trains may not be made with a Discounted International Extension Ticket.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @Traver 

Thank you for your reply.

As @VlaznimA mentioned, the only way to get a ticket "flexible in time" for the Swiss part of the journey, is to buy it separately as a national ticket. 

Each national point to point ticket allows you to travel on the same route on that day at any time you wish. 

But if you buy it together with an international ticket, it becomes another kind of product, called an international connection ticket

Those are not flexible in time because they are an accessory to an international journey with a specific time. 

I hope this clears it for you.

I wish you a pleasant journey. 

EleonoraS

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES
VlaznimA

Hello @Traver 

International bookings are valid only for the selected connection, as they are issued with a reservation. This applies to long distance trains. "Regional" International connection are not committed with a reservation and are therefore flex. This ticket (Nr. 1 SEMI_FLEX with "1× Connection Ticket International: Basel SBB-Rueras - Fully flexible fares offer) you are trying to book is only flexible either in refund/exchange, but not in departure time.

For further information please call our contact center +41 (0)848 44 66 88 (CHF 0.08/Min.) or +41 51 225 78 00.

Have a nice day.

Kind regards, VlaznimA.

Thank you, but it is still not clear. To ask directly:

1) SEMI_FLEX with "1× Connection Ticket International: Basel SBB-Rueras - Fully flexible fares offer"

The international train segment is of course fixed to th exact time. But are the regional trains flexible for time of day (the same as a separately purchased regional flexible fare would be)?

2) SEMI_FLEX with "1× Discounted International Extension Ticket: Basel SBB-Rueras - Partially flexible fares offer"

It seems clear that both the international train segment *and* the regional trains are fixed to the exact times purchased. Correct?

Hello @Traver 

I don't understand because Basel SBB - Rueras in Tavetsch in Switzerland is not an international ticket. I don't know where you try to buy it but I think that these flex offers are for the railroad before entering Switzerland. If you buy for example on www.sbb.ch a ticket from Basel SBB - Rueras, you can buy a national point-to-point ticket, which is valid the whole day on the purchased route:

Unbenannt.PNG

If you choose a saver ticket, then the connection in switzerland is also train bound. But if you book the tickets on another website, I would recommend you to split the purchase or book the swiss ticket on sbb.ch.

Kind regards, VlaznimA.

Thank you. My itinerary is Strasbourg --> Rueras.
The international ticket fare conditions *are* clear. The fare conditions for the Swiss connections are *not* clear.

I cannot insert images. 😞 So text is below.
I want to know which fare lets me take any of the Swiss regional trains on the same route, on the same day, but regardless of their time.

There seem to be two website problems:
1) A technical problem that prevents getting the fare rules for the option selected. (It does not update the fare rules properly when you change selection.)
2) Imprecise use of English language in the fare conditions resulting in confusion. (The word "time" is not mentioned at all, for example.) I would be glad to offer suggestions to help as a native speaker, once I can get a clear explanation and understanding.

----------
Option 1:
TER - Tarif Normal GE - flexibility: SEMI_FLEX CHF 104.00

Strasbourg Rueras

2nd class

• TER - Tarif Normal GE - flexibility: SEMI_FLEX, Strasbourg – Basel SBB 400001

Valid: Tue, 08.03.2022

Departure time: 11:21

CHF 30.00

• Connection Ticket International: Basel SBB-Rueras - Fully flexible fares offer, Basel SBB – Rueras via Arth-Goldau, Göschenen, Andermatt 50125

Departure time: 13:03

CHF 74.00

----------
Option 2:
TER - Tarif Normal GE - flexibility: SEMI_FLEX CHF 71.00

Strasbourg Rueras

2nd class

• TER - Tarif Normal GE - flexibility: SEMI_FLEX, Strasbourg – Basel SBB 400001

CHF 30.00

• Discounted International Extension Ticket: Basel SBB-Rueras - Partially flexible fares offer, Basel SBB – Rueras via Arth-Goldau, Göschenen, Andermatt 84011

CHF 41.00

----------
Option 3:
TER - PETITS PRIX - flexibility: NON_FLEX CHF 52.00

Strasbourg Rueras

2nd class

• TER - PETITS PRIX - flexibility: NON_FLEX, Strasbourg – Basel SBB 400001

CHF 11.00

• Discounted International Extension Ticket: Basel SBB-Rueras - Partially flexible fares offer, Basel SBB – Rueras via Arth-Goldau, Göschenen, Andermatt 84011

CHF 41.00

Hello @Traver 

Thank you for your reply.

As @VlaznimA mentioned, the only way to get a ticket "flexible in time" for the Swiss part of the journey, is to buy it separately as a national ticket. 

Each national point to point ticket allows you to travel on the same route on that day at any time you wish. 

But if you buy it together with an international ticket, it becomes another kind of product, called an international connection ticket

Those are not flexible in time because they are an accessory to an international journey with a specific time. 

I hope this clears it for you.

I wish you a pleasant journey. 

EleonoraS