Step 1

This is where customers help other customers. Find useful information in existing discussions or ask your questions.

Forward

Step 2

You will find tips and tricks about train travel here.

Back Forward

Step 3

You will see the latest posts from all areas of the Community here.

Back End tour
Announcements
Please use our help & contact area for all questions regarding your ticket bookings and for refunds.
The SBB Community is a public forum (customers help customers); please don’t post any personal data (names, addresses, e-mail, credit card numbers, ticket order no. etc.).

Desperate for Help with Train passes

SOLVED
electrcrio
New Author

Hi All: Will be traveling through Switzerland this summer with my spouse and 2 children who will be 5 at the time. We will need the following pieces of transportation -

-1 way trip from Zurich to Lucern

-1 way trip from Lucern to Interlaken

-Roundtrip to the Jungfrau for one day plus travel around the Oberland region for 4 additional days.

-1 way trip from Interlaken to Geneva

-Plus local travel in the cities (maybe some boat rides or buses when the little ones get tired)

I am so confused with the different passes that are available to purchase...We will be in the country for 12 full days but to purchase the flex card for 15 days seems alot when it doesn't cover most of the mountain trains in the Oberland region (except for some half fares). Plus for over $900 it doesn't seem like the city to city rides will really cost us that much to warrant the Swiss pass.

Are we better off with purchasing a regional card for the 5 days we are in the mountains and then just paying ala carte for the other rides around the country? Is the Swiss pass better? Does the half fare card make sense with a jungfrau pass?

Also, my sons will be 5 at the time, but all the things i see are for 6 and older. Do we still get a ticket for them somehow or do they just board the train without one?

Please help...my spouse is tired of listening to me drone on about travel tickets.

Thank you in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RahelW

Hello @electrcrio 

It is correct, that the Swiss Travel Pass does not fully cover most mountain trains. I suggest to purchase a Half Fare Card. In this case you will benefit of the reduced price, even on most cable cars. More information here

In addition you can purchase saver day passes (valid all day also for public transportation in the city you are goint to visit) or supersaver tickets (only valid o the booked train - you will find them on the online timetable or on the SBB Mobile application) with the half fare reduction. 

For your time in Interlaken, the Jungfraupass might be a great idea.

Children under the age of 6 do not need any tickets.

Hope I could help you with this information and wish you an unforgettable time in Switzerland. Regards Rahel

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES
RahelW

Hello @electrcrio 

It is correct, that the Swiss Travel Pass does not fully cover most mountain trains. I suggest to purchase a Half Fare Card. In this case you will benefit of the reduced price, even on most cable cars. More information here

In addition you can purchase saver day passes (valid all day also for public transportation in the city you are goint to visit) or supersaver tickets (only valid o the booked train - you will find them on the online timetable or on the SBB Mobile application) with the half fare reduction. 

For your time in Interlaken, the Jungfraupass might be a great idea.

Children under the age of 6 do not need any tickets.

Hope I could help you with this information and wish you an unforgettable time in Switzerland. Regards Rahel

Thank you for your help Rachel! Looking forward to an amazing time!