Step 1

This is where customers help other customers. Find useful information in existing discussions or ask your questions.

Forward

Step 2

You will find tips and tricks about train travel here.

Back Forward

Step 3

You will see the latest posts from all areas of the Community here.

Back End tour
Announcements
Please use our help & contact area for all questions regarding your ticket bookings and for refunds.
The SBB Community is a public forum (customers help customers); please don’t post any personal data (names, addresses, e-mail, credit card numbers, ticket order no. etc.).

4 day pass

SOLVED
JT22
New Author

Hi, we are touring Switzerland in March 2023 and would like to buy the 4 day pass. Its on promotion until 31/10/22 so we have to buy it now.

My question is, we are tourist, can we travel on the 4 day pass?. We will also buy the half fare card for one month for 120chf. Can I buy the half fare card later? How do we activate the half fare card. We are in Switzerland from 8/3/23-14/3/23

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RolandP
Commuter (silver)

Hi @JT22 

Yes, as a tourist you can buy the 4 day pass as well, see here: Swiss Travel Passes | Switzerland Travel Centre

In addition, have a look at Saver Day Passes as well; they are very inexpensive with the Swiss Half Fare Card: Saver Day Pass – book earlier, travel cheaper | SBB

To answer your question: yes, you can buy the Swiss Half Fare Card later, you do not need it in order to buy tickets. You must have it before you get on the first train, tram, bus, what ever. The only person who will check if you are in poseession of the Swiss Half Fare Card is the train conductor during ticket inspection. You do not have to activate it; upon purchase, you can choose the first day of validity. It is valid 30 consecutive days from the selected start date.

Let us know should you have further questions.

Best regards,
Roland

War mein Beitrag hilfreich? Dann freue ich mich über einen Like oder die Markierung als Lösung :: Was my reply helpful? Thank you for giving it a like or mark it as solution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES
RolandP
Commuter (silver)

Hi @JT22 

Yes, as a tourist you can buy the 4 day pass as well, see here: Swiss Travel Passes | Switzerland Travel Centre

In addition, have a look at Saver Day Passes as well; they are very inexpensive with the Swiss Half Fare Card: Saver Day Pass – book earlier, travel cheaper | SBB

To answer your question: yes, you can buy the Swiss Half Fare Card later, you do not need it in order to buy tickets. You must have it before you get on the first train, tram, bus, what ever. The only person who will check if you are in poseession of the Swiss Half Fare Card is the train conductor during ticket inspection. You do not have to activate it; upon purchase, you can choose the first day of validity. It is valid 30 consecutive days from the selected start date.

Let us know should you have further questions.

Best regards,
Roland

War mein Beitrag hilfreich? Dann freue ich mich über einen Like oder die Markierung als Lösung :: Was my reply helpful? Thank you for giving it a like or mark it as solution.

Hi Roland,

Thanks for your reply and giving me more clarification regarding the half fare card which I will purchase before arriving in Switzerland. 

Regarding the 4 day pass, I was referring to the pass that is currently offered on SBB app, it cost 139chf for 2nd class and 199chf for 1st class travel. There is a price difference on the Swiss travel pass, the STP is more expensive. So just wanting to confirm that as a tourist, we can purchase the 4 day pass from SBB for 139chf (with half fare card) and use it like the STP? 

On the SBB app, its called the 4 day pass for the half fare travelcard. 

Screenshot_2022-10-28-19-24-46-421_ch.sbb.mobile.android.b2c.jpg

Hi @JT22 & @RolandP 

Please note that there is a difference between the 4-Day Pass and the Swiss Travel Pass 4 days.

4-Day Pass => you need a valid Half Fare Travelcard or Trial Half Fare Travelcard
Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Travel Pass Flex => a Half Fare Travelcard is not necessary.

For tourists without a half-fare TravelcardI recommend the Swiss Travel Pass.

Best regards
NicolasK