Step 1

This is where customers help other customers. Find useful information in existing discussions or ask your questions.

Forward

Step 2

You can discover and actively shape the digital services of SBB here.

Back Forward

Step 3

You will find tips and tricks about train travel here.

Back Forward

Step 4

You will see the latest posts from all areas of the Community here.

Back End tour

New Smoking Policy?

Kay
Traveller
0 Likes

I read an article that new smoking restrictions went into effect at all stations after results of the smoking trials last year. But I haven’t seen any difference at my stations. Is there a new policy written somewhere or is it still being rolled out? If not, can we have a status update from SBB on this topic?

It would be lovely to be able to commute with the chance of decent air quality. I almost switched to a car this year because of it but again bought the GA with hopes that the trials would initiate change.

Re: New Smoking Policy?

Good morning @Kay 

The Association of Public Transport has decided in November 2018 that from the 1st June 2019 all Swiss railway stations will be smoke-free. Smoking will then only be permitted at the entrances to the stations and in smoking areas on the platforms.

You can find the information on the following link: https://news.sbb.ch/artikel/84902/einfuehrung-von-rauchfreien-bahnhoefen-mit-raucherbereichen (only available in German, French or Italian).

I wish you a nice day.

GiorgiaB

Kay
Traveller
0 Likes

Hey I’ve read that the new smoking policy was postponed just some days before it was supposed to go into effect. But I don’t see an update in the link provided and haven’t been able to find information from SBB on this. Where can I read about the delay and find out when the Luzern Bahnhof is supposed to implement the smoking restrictions? 

0 Likes

Hallo @Kay,

There were no updates about it. For now the Lucerne station is not included in the experiment.

Have a nice day

SamanthaAd 

Kay
Traveller
0 Likes

Can you explain what you mean by “experiment”? An experiment was already performed last year and the decision was already made to implement smoking restrictions based off that experiment and a survey of commuters. That was announced by SBB in the link provided by the previous poster. What other experiments need to be performed? Also, I asked if there is any information from SBB on the current situation. Can you direct me to information on it or has SBB not made a public statement at all? I’ve only been able to find some news sites mentioning the postponement and stating that some stations now won’t transition until middle of next year, but there’s no source back to SBB actually stating that. Obviously this comes as a disappointment for me as I thought public transit was finally going to reduce exposure to the damaging health effects, costs, and nuisance smoking causes and I would like to know more. How quickly my stations transition to smoking restrictions will effect whether we buy the GA again or instead buy a car.

Hallo @Kay 

SBB will gradually convert its 750 stations. The first stations were Burgdorf, Lyssach, Hindelbank and Schönbühl SBB on the 4th June. The rollout will take around six months.

You will find the recent information on the following link: https://news.sbb.ch/artikel/90194/rollout-rauchfreie-bahnhoefe-mit-raucherbereiche-gestartet

The implementation in Lucerne is expected to be at the end of July 2019.

Kind regards.

GiorgiaB

Highlighted

0 Likes

I see that at stations that smoking should be limited to 2 m in each side of the ashtray now on the platform, but people continue to smoke anywhere they like. How will this new restriction be enforced? 

AH1
New Author

I continue to see people smoking in the non-smoking areas of the bahnhofs even though there are signs everywhere, both painted on the ground and sign boards at the boundaries. I walked towards some SBB security officers who were ignoring these smokers only to find these officers were about to light cigarettes of their own in the non-smoking area, too. I asked them if they could do something about the smokers smoking in front of the Coop entrance, which is in the non-smoking area, and they told me “it doesn’t matter, because we can’t fine them. If we tell them not to smoke they will do it anyway.” And they said this to me while holding cigarettes in their hands! Let’s be clear, everyone should have the right to clean air, and even Switzerland agrees with this statement. However Switzerland continues to allow the smoking population, which is a large third of the population, to pollute the walkways, restaurants, public transportation bus stops and rail stations and platforms, apartment buildings, and the entrances of all buildings. There are thousands of chemicals in second hand smoke, hundreds of which are known carcinogens, and the World Health Organization has stated “there is no safe level of second hand smoke.” The relaxed smoking regulations and lack of enforcement of what little regulations exist are a large burden on everyone in Switzerland, as 24 people die every day from smoking related illnesses, tax revenue from cigarettes are only a fraction of the health costs from smoking related illnesses and lost economic output from those who become ill due to smoking and effects of second hand smoking. So SBB, enforce your own smoking ban, because unless you do people will continue to ignore your signs,  pollute the air and harm the health of everyone using your transportation services, and pollute your railways with used cigarettes.

Visitor

Totally agree with @AH1!  @GiorgiaB @SamanthaAd, the relaxed enforcement practice seems like a typical case of "not planning well" by SBB.  Is this the case?  And, If SBB needs help in ways to enforce this new regulation, you can simply ask the community for some creative ideas to resolve this.

Some suggestions below for your perusal (I'm sure SBB have already thought of these)

- Phase in fines of CHF100 for anyone caught smoking on train, platform, bus stop and anywhere around the train/depot vicinity.  Empower the same train conductors/security officers to carry out such activities.  Partner with Police department initially to limit any potential alterations with smokers.  

- Host an app competition to design and create an app to record smoking infringement by offenders.

- Allow/Encourage commuters to use the new app to take pics of offenders and post them accordingly to "name and shame" these smokers.  After an initial soft name and shame, a fine shall be added to his.her fare automatically when they renew/purchase fares, to cover the cost of cleaning the butts off the floor.

- Create dedicated smoking rooms/areas/spots and make clear of these areas/spots/rooms.

- Have an awareness program in all main stations around the country (PA messaging, LED sign boards, banners, flyers, adv etc).

How to fund this?  Per a news article, SBB spent millions each year to clean butts off the grounds, so any cost upfront should be covered by any saving in the cleaning fund, in theory.

I could be totally wrong about this, so happy to hear back from SBB.

0 Likes

Hello @Dion 

Thank you for your ideas. I forward them to the appropriate department and wish you a good start into the weekend.

Kind regards,

MarinaZ