Step 1

This is where customers help other customers. Find useful information in existing discussions or ask your questions.

Forward

Step 2

You can discover and actively shape the digital services of SBB here.

Back Forward

Step 3

You will find tips and tricks about train travel here.

Back Forward

Step 4

You will see the latest posts from all areas of the Community here.

Back End tour

New Smoking Policy?

Kay
Traveller
0 Likes

I read an article that new smoking restrictions went into effect at all stations after results of the smoking trials last year. But I haven’t seen any difference at my stations. Is there a new policy written somewhere or is it still being rolled out? If not, can we have a status update from SBB on this topic?

It would be lovely to be able to commute with the chance of decent air quality. I almost switched to a car this year because of it but again bought the GA with hopes that the trials would initiate change.

Re: New Smoking Policy?

Good morning @Kay 

The Association of Public Transport has decided in November 2018 that from the 1st June 2019 all Swiss railway stations will be smoke-free. Smoking will then only be permitted at the entrances to the stations and in smoking areas on the platforms.

You can find the information on the following link: https://news.sbb.ch/artikel/84902/einfuehrung-von-rauchfreien-bahnhoefen-mit-raucherbereichen (only available in German, French or Italian).

I wish you a nice day.

GiorgiaB

Kay
Traveller
0 Likes

Hey I’ve read that the new smoking policy was postponed just some days before it was supposed to go into effect. But I don’t see an update in the link provided and haven’t been able to find information from SBB on this. Where can I read about the delay and find out when the Luzern Bahnhof is supposed to implement the smoking restrictions? 

0 Likes

Hallo @Kay,

There were no updates about it. For now the Lucerne station is not included in the experiment.

Have a nice day

SamanthaAd 

Kay
Traveller
0 Likes

Can you explain what you mean by “experiment”? An experiment was already performed last year and the decision was already made to implement smoking restrictions based off that experiment and a survey of commuters. That was announced by SBB in the link provided by the previous poster. What other experiments need to be performed? Also, I asked if there is any information from SBB on the current situation. Can you direct me to information on it or has SBB not made a public statement at all? I’ve only been able to find some news sites mentioning the postponement and stating that some stations now won’t transition until middle of next year, but there’s no source back to SBB actually stating that. Obviously this comes as a disappointment for me as I thought public transit was finally going to reduce exposure to the damaging health effects, costs, and nuisance smoking causes and I would like to know more. How quickly my stations transition to smoking restrictions will effect whether we buy the GA again or instead buy a car.

Hallo @Kay 

SBB will gradually convert its 750 stations. The first stations were Burgdorf, Lyssach, Hindelbank and Schönbühl SBB on the 4th June. The rollout will take around six months.

You will find the recent information on the following link: https://news.sbb.ch/artikel/90194/rollout-rauchfreie-bahnhoefe-mit-raucherbereiche-gestartet

The implementation in Lucerne is expected to be at the end of July 2019.

Kind regards.

GiorgiaB

Highlighted

0 Likes

I see that at stations that smoking should be limited to 2 m in each side of the ashtray now on the platform, but people continue to smoke anywhere they like. How will this new restriction be enforced?