Step 1

This is where customers help other customers. Find useful information in existing discussions or ask your questions.

Forward

Step 2

You can discover and actively shape the digital services of SBB here.

Back Forward

Step 3

You will find tips and tricks about train travel here.

Back Forward

Step 4

You will see the latest posts from all areas of the Community here.

Back End tour

Re: I keep getting a message that my payment authorisation has failed on the app (credit card is fin

0 Likes

Same issue here, 4/25/19.

Tried to book a train from Italy to Switzerland with a Visa, a Cap One Venture Card none the less, and it was rejected. Didn't want to use my debit card (MasterCard) but did anyways and the payment went through. 

Went back and tried to book our return from Switzerland to Paris and now the MasterCard or the Visa doesn't work. This is insane.

The problem with the app workaround is that I can't book my entire trip via the app, it's prompting me to use the website, which is terrible. 

Re: I keep getting a message that my payment authorisation has failed on the app (credit card is fin

0 Likes

Tried to book a train from Italy to Switzerland with a Visa, a Cap One Venture Card none the less, and it was rejected. Didn't want to use my debit card (MasterCard) but did anyways and the payment went through. 

Went back and tried to book our return from Switzerland to Paris and now the MasterCard or the Visa doesn't work. This is insane.

The problem with the app workaround is that I can't book my entire trip via the app, it's prompting me to use the website, which is terrible. 

0 Likes

Re: Credit Card Payment Failed

0 Likes

I struggled with this for about 20 hours and my persistence paid off. Owing to increasing levels of fraudulent credit card activities, Switzerland (and most other European Countries) require an additional level of security to make sure that the cardholder is the one attempting the transaction. This is called "3-D Secure" and it is nothing more that a two-factor authentication. When I called Bank of America front desk support to resolve this, they could not see any transaction attempts but the light bulb went off when I mentioned "3-D secure". The front desk support reached out to their elevated security department who had visibility into the attempted transaction. The elevated security department was able to bridge the gap between the merchant and the consumer (me) and provide the required verification. Bank of America has now set me up to receive the secondary level notifications on my smartphone. This would be the second part of the two-factor authentication. This issue in only for online transactions. For in-country transactions, a valid government-issued identity card (such as the Passport) would serve as the second part of the two-factor authentication.

I hope this long-winded explanation helps all those who have been struggling with this issue.

Good luck.

@jzimmermann wrote:

Re: Credit Card Payment Failed

0 Likes

Hallo @uaveenash,

"Verified by Visa", "MasterCard SecureCode", "American Express SafeKey" and "Diners ProtectBuy" are based on a technology called 3-D Secure. This service ensures, that only you may purchase online using your credit card.

If your credit card is signed on for 3-D Secure, a pop-up window will appear during the payment transaction, in which your 3-D Secure password is requested as well as your pre-selected security message. The password identifies you clearly as the cardholder. The indicated security message gives you the assurance that your password verification was carried out by your credit card company.

This pop-up window is automatically blended in by your credit card company and is not governed by the SBB.

For further queries regarding payment using your credit card, please contact your credit card company.

We recommend that you use a different payment card or that you purchase your tickets at your nearest railway station ticket office.

Have a nice day

SamanthaAd

New Author
0 Likes

Does the App work around work even if credit cards are not 3D?

I have spent hours trying to get Advance Super Saver tickets on line but all credit cards declined as described by everyone even though there is no issue with them (verified).  I will try the app work around but want to check on the 3D issue first.

Thank you. 

0 Likes

Hello @Anoush 

We cannot determine the reason why your credit card was declined. It can happen that we reject credit card transactions for reasons of security. This action is primarily intended to protect the card holder.

If you received notice that your credit card was declined you must call your credit card company directly.

Kind regards.

GiorgiaB

0 Likes

Absolutely download the App like this person suggested and it works perfectly using Apple Pay.

0 Likes

December 2019 and it's still happening on their website. When using their app (I'm trying every angle), I can't get the trip to show ticket prices. Very frustrating. I have written to SBB three times, they have responded twice with generic responses saying that my credit card is at fault. It isn't. I've even tried using a different browser (have tried Edge and now Chrome) hoping for good results. And have tried two different Visa credit cards, all to now avail.

You're right. It's easier to get to Switzerland than it is to travel by train in it.

Highlighted

0 Likes

This is happening to many people across many forums regarding getting tickets on the SBB website. It is NOT that the credit card is declined. I, and others, have called our credit card companies and have cards in good standing. It is definitely something to do with your system of authorization.