cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
No answer found? Ask your question
Highlighted

I keep getting a message that my payment authorisation has failed on the app (credit card is fine)

Today I tried to purchase tickets via the app for the first time. I have tried twice and each time get a message that the payment authorisation failed. However, I know that the credit card information is correct and I have called the credit card company to confirm that the card has not been blocked for some reason.

Re: I keep getting a message that my payment authorisation has failed on the app (credit card is fin

0 Likes

Hi @Liz1

We cannot determine the reason why your credit card was declined.

I can tell you, however, that payments by credit card will only take place if your credit card is enrolled for 3-D Secure. "Verified by Visa", "MasterCard SecureCode", "American Express SafeKey" and "Diners ProtectBuy" are based on a technology called 3D-Secure. This service ensures that only you may purchase online using your credit card.

If your credit card is signed on for 3D-Secure, a pop-up window will appear during the payment transaction, in which your 3D-Secure password is requested as well as your pre-selected security message. This pop-up window is automatically blended in by your credit card company and is not governed by the SBB.

For further queries regarding payment using your credit card, please contact your credit card company.

Kind regards
SandraI

Re: I keep getting a message that my payment authorisation has failed on the app (credit card is fin

New Author

Hello,

funny this, I've just had mine rejected several times with different cards too.

Also if you google sbb.ch and credit card, you get loads of results - all saying cards are blocked. The earliest I've found is 2013 on Trip Advisor.

So, the Swiss national train company cannot process card payments consistently for over 5 years - really?!

Shocking, disappointing and means that my son who is visiiting Switzerland for a field trip in June, will struggle with extremely expensive tickets as he won't be able to take advantage of the saver fares.

Have to say getting to Switzerland is a lot easier than travelling around it. And cheaper too.

Switzerland, you have dropped the ball badly.

New Author
0 Likes

Right, no thanks to sbb.ch, I have found the answer, but it's a performance and I didn't figure it out myself, found it on another site (Sbb.ch credit card rejected - and the answer!!!) so all credit to them.

Register online with sbb online and create a swisspass account
Install the SBB app
Login to app using sbb/swisspass details
Add additional travellers (important if buying tickets for others as I am) and payment details, that Visa be looking good in here.
Couldn't find how to get return tickets on different days, so booked 2 singles.
Used super saver options for each and payment details sailed through.
Login in to sbb.ch on pc/mac (yes, again)
Find your orders under your account section top right
View and print the ticket, as I'm sending to my son then I chose print as pdf.
Save pdf and send on to whoever, print out as just in case battery dies

Then post this on r/softwaregore, r/CrappyDesign

If you delete this post SBB, then that means that you are actively blocking card purchases, which is very naughty.

As this is an onhoing issue, you really ought to fix it and not blame visitors card companies. This is purely down to your very poor card processing implementation.

0 Likes

Same issue here. 2018.

0 Likes
The app workaround made it work for us also.

My credit card payment for a purchase in the SBB system k...

0 Likes

My credit card payment for a purchase in the SBB system keeps getting rejected.  I see that I am not alone in this situation.  I am registered within the Swisspass system and I notified my credit card company that I am making purchases in Europe (including Switzerland.)   Not sure what to do now.   When you write to SBBTicketshop they do answer you in very good English, but why such a hassle just to buy some train tickets?   Any suggestions?